We are looking for volunteers to help us stay organized throughout the conference and ensure all workshops, presentations, and events run smoothly. Volunteers will be asked to attend to coordinate in the workshop rooms and presentation rooms at the conference. In exchange for their time, all volunteers will be those who have received the Travel Grant to attend the conference.
The purpose of the volunteer program for FOSS4G 2018 is to be able to provide need-based affordable attendance, with a high priority given to Authors, students and local applicants. We also strive for diversity at the conference and the Volunteer Committee will keep this in mind throughout the application review process.
Applications will be accepted until 15 August. After review, applicants will be notified by email if they have been accepted into the volunteer program or not. Volunteers must commit to working each of their shifts. Not showing up for an assigned shift will result in the volunteer being charged $650 (the full cost of the conference registration fee).
Throughout the conference, there will be a series of 1 hour and 30 minutes of volunteer shifts. Volunteers will be able to sign up for the available shifts that work best for them, but in order to receive the reduced registration fee a volunteer must sign up for a minimum of 6 hours in total. Shift assignments are on a first come, first serve basis once the sign-up is released.
Volunteers will be assuming different roles or positions for each shift they sign up for. A brief description of each of the positions we are looking for throughout the conference are below.
- Registration/Information Staff
- Stationed at the registration desk: Main duties include signing in attendees, distributing name tags and conference materials, and providing answers to any questions attendees may have. Friendliness is a must. Knowledge of the local area is a plus.
- Conference Room Maintenance (A/V Tech)
- Stationed at one of the 13 conference rooms: Main duties include supporting presenters in setting up their presentations and making sure they run smoothly, troubleshooting any technical issues in the conference room, and providing general support and guidance to attendees.
- Keynote presentation room
- Stationed at the main conference room: Main duties include supporting keynote presenters in setting up their presentations and making sure they run smoothly, troubleshooting any technical issues in the conference room, and providing general support and guidance to attendees.
- Stationed at specific key locations throughout the conference venue: Main duties include offering directions and answering any questions attendees may have. May also be called upon if needed at any other station for extra support or backup.
- Workshop Maintenance
- Stationed at the workshop location on Monday, August 27th and/or Tuesday: Main duties include providing guidance and directions to workshop attendees as to the location of their workshop and helping presenters troubleshoot any technical issues.
- Transportation from the Venue to the social events
- Stationed at the conference venue to count the bus (Daladala) and make sure they are taking participants to the Gala location and they are full. Provide guidance to participants to take the bus when needed. Count the number of the route to each bus taking the participants
- Evening Social Event Guide/Ticket Collector
- Stationed between the conference and the extracurricular event or at the event itself: Main duties include providing directions to help attendees get to the event and collecting tickets at the start of the event.
- Sundowner Cocktails – TGP Awardees and Poster Expo
- Stationed between the cocktail event: Main duties include providing directions to help attendees get to the event and collecting tickets at the start of the event.
- Setup/Take Down Staff
- Stationed at the conference or workshop venue: Main Duties include working before/after the event to help properly set up or put away everything.
If you are interested in volunteer for event preparations or if you need more information please send us an email directly to email@example.com.